Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Green Birding - ideas and links for 2012

As an alternative, the emphasis by some individuals in recent years on "green birding" provides a lot to consider for those who want to take their birding activities in a different direction.

Here are some links to various ideas for green birding - whether your focus is on muscle-powered competitive birding, or just on "simplifying" your birding - the latter is very appealing, in many ways.


I'm trying to find a way to do this myself, but my health and age and schedule just won't permit long bicycling forays these days. Plus, living in inner city Milwaukee, I'd have to really walk a very long distance to get to a  worthwhile birding location. The closest such location is about 5 miles away. But, the Sparroworks discussion linked above provides some suggestions for a BIGBY category using public transport - I think that may be the way to go for me! We'll see what 2012 brings...

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant of you to bring Green Birding more to the fore Bill.

    My name is Gary Prescott and I'm 56 and living in the UK.

    Green Birding has made such a difference to my life and I'm sure that if more people would take it up it would make a difference. On a bike, in a kayak or walking, one sees and hears so much more of what nature is doing around you. On a bus? Open the windows!

    Thanks Bill. I'd love to know how you're doing this year. Please email me at

    bikingbirder2010@hotmail.com

    All the very best,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete